Pages

Wednesday 14 November 2012

Handmade weddings: our invitations


This is our wedding invitation - handmade by me and Mr E with the help of a little inspiration from some brilliant bloggers.

Clockwise from the top left:The Natural Wedding Company
Making the invitations was a trial and error process and my advice for any brides would be just to give it a go. We created our invitation without the use of any expensive design programmes - we just used microsoft and a scanner.
The basic design was hand-drawn. I drew all the elements (the bunting, the leaves and bow, the border and the date banner) separately and then scanned them in and pieced them together using word. Taking inspiration from Charlie at The Natural Wedding Company - the font we used was UglyQua which we downloaded for free at MyFonts and I wrote our names and the titles for our details booklet by hand.
Once we were happy with the design we saved it as a pdf, shrunk it to size and printed it on to tracing paper.
Once we'd printed it out (and used up all our tracing paper!) we foolishly decided that they would look better with a bit of colour, which meant a week of evening spent colouring them in. So if you would like colour in yours I would strongly recommend adding the colour before you print!
I then overlaid the tracing paper on to some lovely ivory card and stitched along the top of each one using the zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine.
A corner rounder from hobbycraft worked wonders to give the invitations a more finished look.

 We created our details booklet, maps and RSVP postcard in the same way (I'll tell you about those another day) and tied the whole thing together with some lovely lilac bakers twine. We even made a miniature version for our evening invitations.

 I must admit I was rather chuffed with the finished product - they turned out better than I expected. What do you think? How many of you have made your own invitations? How did it go?
H x x

1 comment:

  1. You're definitely up there as a smart smart friend!

    ReplyDelete